ā† Threads

New homepage - seeking feedback šŸ™‚

T
tyro 1 year ago

Hi everyone!

Iā€™ve just released a new version of the Macro homepage and would love feedback.

In particular Iā€™m looking to know:

• how clearly does this show the difference between Macro and other project management tools? (scale of 1-10, 10 being very clear, and 1 being not clear at all)
  • whatā€™s the first thing you would change?

Thanks, Tyro.

T
tyro 1 year ago

Oh, and of course the link is https://macroapp.io (you must be signed out to view it).

F
fwuensche 1 year ago

Iā€™d argue that Basecamp-like apps are not Macroā€™s main competitors today, but rather messy email threads or easily lost Slack conversations. These users will be a lot more likely to try Macro, not Basecamp users, imho.

From what I see, Macro offers three main features:

• Overview: equivalent to Basecamp Home
  • Threads & Updates: equivalent Basecamp Messages
  • Tasks: equivalent to Basecamp To-dos

image.png

Note that I merged Threads and Updates. Thatā€™s because I find it hard to see Updates as a section in its own. Iā€™d be happy to create a new thread with the subject ā€œ[UPDATE] New feature launchā€ šŸ¤—

With that said, Iā€™d reduce to these three main features and use something like the below as my unique selling points:

• Overview: a one-page dashboard for your projects
  • Threads: completely replaces project emails
  • Tasks: the one place to track work, deadlines, and ship your products on time

Hope thatā€™s useful feedback! And congrats again on the great work and responsiveness so far!

ā¤ļø 1
tyro reacted with :heart
C
charles 1 year ago

1. ā€œhow clearly does this show the difference between Macro and other project management tools? (scale of 1-10, 10 being very clear, and 1 being not clear at all)ā€

8/10.

Having worked with Monday, Trello, and Asana, I agree that ā€˜task-trackingā€™ vs. ā€˜project-trackingā€™ is a meaningful difference.

ā€œProjects in Macro contain more than just tasks.ā€ might not land, unless that context is top of mind. You could be explicit about the alternative case: e.g. ā€œother project tools focus on getting a lot of tasks doneā€

2. whatā€™s the first thing you would change?

I would add a logo, maybe in the style of the project titles Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 10.19.50.png

ā¤ļø 1
tyro reacted with :heart
T
tyro 1 year ago

@fwuensche Thanks for the feedback!

Note that I merged Threads and Updates. Thatā€™s because I find it hard to see Updates as a section in its own.

Iā€™ve struggled with this. The general idea was:

• Updates are for keeping stakeholders updated
  • Threads let the project team discuss the project

This manifests in two ways:

1. Updates are shown prominently on the overview page to help others understand the state of a project
  2. Project followers are emailed about new updates, but not about new threads

The overall aim is to build a company culture where employees follow many projects and get the important updates, without being swamped by project discussions.

Of course people can always follow individual Threads or @mention others to draw them into a discussion theyā€™re not already part of.

As I was typing this out, I realised that the 2) is not implemented properly as everyone is being notified about new Threads. šŸ˜© I will change this, and have added some key followers (including yourself) as project contributor for General, so you will continue to be notified about new Threads. (Let me know if you donā€™t want this).

Thread closed by tyro.
Following
C
C
D
D
E
F
F
F
I
L